Saturday, March 8, 2014

Nerd Limbo




Hello again my fellow nerds!

I recently found myself contemplating entering the dating pool again (ugh!). I decided instead of trying to go the route of more traditional online dating sites I'd look for more nerd friendly sites. My internet search for such places led to an interesting discovery: I am in nerd limbo. Most sites catered to the gaming, comic reading, Sci-fi and Fantasy loving nerd contingent. It seems that my nerdy pursuits don't fall in line with the users of such dating sites. I dabble in some of these activities but the things that get my nerdy heart racing are books.  I am a book worm.
Go Away I'm Reading
image from bookwormlovesbooks tumblr

 My love affair with books started early. My mom, a teacher, used to read to me every night until embarrassing late in my life. My favorites were anything involving the Berenstain Bears or Ameila Bedelia. My favorite book and I have no idea how often I begged my mom to read it to me was "There's a Monster at the End of This Book". Even though I knew how the book ended, when there was a cue to turn the page (or not to turn the page in this case) I'd put my hand on the book, laugh, and say "No, don't turn it yet! I'm not ready!" After several seconds I would say "Okay, you can turn it." When she did, I would scream and laugh. I should mention at this point that my mom did a spot on Grover impression, which was part of this story's appeal. The end of the story would come and I would howl with laughter.

The other book related memory that springs to mind happened when I was in elementary school. One rainy afternoon during recess I stumbled across Edgar Allan Poe's The Pit and the Pendulum on tape. It had a comic book to go with the recording. I listened and followed along. I was engrossed by this story and its creepy recording. The whoosh of the pendulum, the squeak of the rats, the narrator's terrified voice. I loved it and it became my favorite story. In junior high and high school I would count the weeks until we would get to any of Poe's work. NERD ALERT!

I've looked into dating sites for bookworms but the idea of dating someone solely based on the books they read sounds narrow. What are their other interests? Will they share my love of Doctor Who, Sherlock, and futuristic shoot 'em ups? So here I am stuck in nerd wasteland. What is a book loving geek-a-nerd to do? I have no answers, I'm really asking. If you have any ideas or sites that come to mind post 'em in the comments.

Until next time!

-Ms. Pennyweather

2 comments:

  1. Oh man, I loved this post. My dad used to do the SAME thing with 'Monster At The End of This Book'! I still think about it and smile. I've always seen you as the quintessential bookworm, honestly, sprinkled with other varieties of nerdery and geekery like an awesome Wordnerd cupcake. ha. For me, the dating thing was rough, too--I finally found my nerdilyeverafter on Yahoo personals when I'd given up pretty much any hope and finally learned to be cool w/ just being me. The good thing about Match or Yahoo was sheer numbers worked in my favor. And like anything, dating was work. I hope someone else out there can offer more/better advice than I can, though b/c it's simply not an exact science. All I can say is you're awesome. And anyone you find will be awesome.

    FYI, that 'Go Away' thing is perfect and I'm saving it 5EVAR. Or making ones that say, Go Away, I'm Writing, Go Away, I'm Gaming.

    Great post! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't pigeon-hole yourself into one nerd-dom. I think you'll find there is a lot of crossover. As a jack-of-all-nerds myself, I wouldn't fit into any one narrowed category either. Books, film, TV, gaming, comics, all these things interest me to some extent. You're not alone.

    ReplyDelete